The Dandenong Ranges is renowned for its beautiful forests and scenic views and is a popular tourist destination in Victoria. With numerous natural and tourist attractions, breathtaking forest parks, and the local artisans the region appeals to many visitors.
Five local attractions close to Rosella Cottage that we highly recommend are:
- Puffing Billy – a steam train that winds its way from Belgrave (3klms) through the picturesque hills to Emerald Lake and on to Gembrook. You can hop off at Emerald Lake and enjoy a picnic or a walk through the splendour of the ornamental and native gardens.
- Dandenong Ranges National Park – DRNP is made up of the four largest areas of forest in the Dandenongs. At Upper Ferntree Gully (2klms) there are several walks including the 1000 steps to One Tree Hill that is known as the Kokada Memorial Track, built in memory of Australian WWII servicemen who served in New Guinea. From Tecoma (2klms) take a walk through fern gullies and towering mountain ash to Sherbrooke falls in the middle of Sherbrooke forest.
- SkyHigh Mt Dandenong – the highest point in the Dandenong Ranges (a 30 minute drive) has amazing views over Melbourne, the Mornington Peninsula and across Port Phillip Bay, and Melbourne’s growing urban fringes to the You Yangs on the horizon.
- William Ricketts Sanctuary – a place of beauty and it is a place for quiet reflection, with many sculptures blended into the tranquil fern glades. Ricketts’ work was inspired by nature and the years he spent living with Aboriginal people.
- Burrinja Cultural Centre (2klm) encompasses performing arts, an Indigenous gallery, a theatre, a contemporary arts gallery, artist studios, an Indigenous garden, live music, workshops and a café. Burrinja endeavours to provide a strong mix of local and national arts. There is always something new happening at Burrinja.
Rosella Cottage provides the perfect b and b accommodation at the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges.